Thursday, May 3, 2012

Networks and professional development

During the past week I have attended two Network meetings. The first one was the inaugural meeting of a new group called L-TEN - Learning and Technology Educators Network (I think). Thirty teachers from about 6 - 7 different schools in Istanbul and from one school in Sofia met at our school. We were tech integrators, librarians, teachers, school leaders, some were all of the above. We discussed issues facing all of us, shared ideas and solutions and talked about interesting apps and websites and tools. It was fun. Next year there will be three meetings of L-TEN.

Today I went to the Istanbul School Librarians' Network. There were about 15 of us and we had discussions about ebooks, collection management and writers. Not too different except, I have been attending this Network for three years and I feel I am getting to know the other librarians well. We had cake and farewells this afternoon for two of our colleagues who are leaving Istanbul in June. I will miss them both.

Networks are great for sharing ideas and for making friends. It is wonderful to get together with people who are passionate about the same things as you are. I really appreciate my colleagues who make the effort to attend these meetings - their contributions help me work more effectively in my own school. Thanks.